Friday, July 16, 2010

Home rental, emergency construction?

I am living in a home that was rebuilt by a bunch of yahoo contractors who didn't know what they were doing. We are fixing stuff all the time, but have recently noticed a crack in the ceiling that is constatly getting bigger. The landlord has been notified and will be getting the same yahoo contractor to come out and finish the job correctly. What are my rights as a tenant if we have to move out? Will I be responsible for all moving costs if I have to move out during construction?Home rental, emergency construction?
great question....!


this happened to me about 8 year ago...and gues what...The ceiling fell in my apartment!





The landlord tried to tell me that i went up into the crawl space between the ceiling the the roof and jumped up and down...and how rediculous was that because the crawl space entry is in another apt and it isn't called crawl space for no reason---so no jumping.


the city building inspectors, the fire dept etc all were called to my apartment...this happened at 4am.





when they got ready to leave...the fire dept said ---you have to leave - it is unsafe and there is asbestos in here --so we won't let you back in!


WHAT!...all my stuff was in there.....


eventually they conceded and allowed me 8 hours to get everything in my apt (40 years of living) out.


the landlord gave me a vacant 1 bdr tor eplace the 2bdr i was in while they fixed it.





the landlord did not want to pay for any of my damages, my relocation, my rent, etc.


I threatened and threatened and threatened...finally i got to speak to their insurance company (State Farm) and they di actually reimburse me for everything i lost and incurred.





your landlord must listen to you (put your demands in writing). he must assist you in relocation etc during this construction...if not...locate their insurance company and go after them.





I will tell you there is nothing like sheet rock to wake u up at 4am.





good luck :)Home rental, emergency construction?
If you have a leasing agreement, you will have to review the agreement to see what is covered. The landlord is responsible for providing the location that you signed up for the period of time signed for. If something happens to that structure during that time period, the landlord is responsible for either (1) returning the portion of money prior paid for that period or (2) providing an alternative place to stay. However, you must check your leasing agreement to see is there are provisions for this.


If you have renters insurance, it may cover the costs for alternative housing as well. You can also re-negotiate your security deposit in some cases.





Review your lease and contact your local apartment association organizations.





Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment